[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: That secondary behaviour...

 The short comment that Malcolm Watts raised earlier
speaks
volumes, (yet was simple enough even for me to
understand!)
about the radiative effects of the extreme cases of an
open
wire versus a tightly wound coil. And real life
falling
somewhere between.

 When I wound my first secondary and measured the fo
with a
loop probe to spectrum analyzer driven at the base
from a
tracking generator, I had ham radio visions of 3 foot
tall
LOWFER antenna, Wow!  Only to have them somewhat
shattered
by subsequent threads on the list that TC secondaries
are
not great (or even good) RF radiators.

 I'm trying to reconcile these two hobbies, Tesla
coiling
and experimental ham radio. I still think there is
alot of
common ground in techniques for building equipment and
opportunity for experimentation and theorizing as to
taking
a TC secondary and streching the windings to the point
where
it develops into a decent RF radiating element -- the
killer low frequency band stealth antenna. But I guess
that
would be getting off subject;-)

 Take a look at the photo at
www.picks.f9.co.uk/mobile.htm
Darn if that doesn't look like a medium sized TC
secondary
functioning as a base loaded whip on top of that car
that
operates on 136Khz!

 I applaud Bill Wysock and Harry Goldman for featuring
the
Corum's papers on the web site and Newsletter
respectively.
As I also appreciate the follow-up discussions and
even
more the experiments others have done in coming to
their
own understanding and publishing to try to enlighten
others.
Let the reader seperate the wheat from the chaff.

 I understand the passion that alot of people have for
the
hobby, but please keep it civil. I know what it's like
be on the receiving end of a design review!

Still learning in Dracut, MA
Bob Wroblewski, N1INU