From: Tesla List [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2000 4:06 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Potential Transformer Sources (not about MOTs)

Original Poster: "Adam" <adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net>

I read this thread as it quickly degenerated back to the question of how
many MOTs one can string together.  I also could not help but notice that no
one offered any advice relevant to the question asked, specifically, "Where
can I get a 1.5 - 3.0 kVA potential transformer?"

Thus, here ya go, in ascending order of cost:

1. Junkyards / Dumps / Salvage.  There aren't any near my urbanite home, but
I've heard many a tale of the scrounging coiler finding potential
transformers at "the dump". If you live in an area that has such an
industrial waste depository, perhaps this is an option. On the downside, the
chance of finding exactly what you need is rather small.

2. Power Company.  Here's another possible source, but in today's world of
gratuitous civil suits, you may not find a utility near you that will sell
you one of these, because of liability.  On occasion, I hear about power
companies having surplus auctions, another possibility.

3. "Ham Fests".  Not just for ham radio anymore.  Ham fests have vendors of
all kinds of electrical crap, transformers among them.  No sure thing, but
worth a look.  Look for pulse caps while you're there :-)

4. rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors, and related groups. If you do USENET, this
is where to look. Like the ham fests, you'll find primarily radio gear, but
I've seen PTs and pigs here too, as well as a TON of very large variacs.

5. Ebay.  I've personally bought two potential transformers through Ebay,
the last one was just this week (has picture too):

  http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=296846235

You may pay more that at a junkyard, but the chance of finding one in good
condition is higher, and it will be delivered to your door. Since I've been
pinned down by a 10-7 job, I myself have become quite the Ebay "armchair
trashpicker".

6. T & R Electric. http://www.trelectric-dot-com   They sell pigs, so I bet
they'll sell PTs as well. May be prohibitively expensive?

Hope that gives you something to do on the weekends. Good luck.