[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Control Box

In a message dated 4/13/00 7:52:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< Original Poster: "Marc metlicka" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

 i was wondering what the "must" of having a variac is in coiling? if
 it's to drop the voltage, i don't understand why. the transformers are
 built for 120v. if it's to raise the voltage over 120v, then why cry
 when you loose a transformer. if its for isolation, there are isolation
 transformers out there for 10.00- 30.00 new. please enlighten me.   mem

Marc,

In my case, I use a pole transformer for a power supply and just don't like
the idea of throwing the switch to full power all at once.  I bring up the
variac slowly and make sure everything is happening like it's supposed to -
if you know what I mean.  It is also helpful after making changes so you can
tune the system at something less than full power.  Same thought process with
my smaller neon sign transformer powered coil.

Ed Sonderman