[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: simple questions

on 4/13/00 9:55 AM, Tesla List at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> Original Poster: "Trent Mullins" <neontrent-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> Hello All,
> I have a couple simple questions I hope I can get answers to.
>
> 1.  How important is it to have all the gaps spaced perfectly in a RQ TCBOR
> gap?

It's not especially important to have all gaps *exactly* equal, but it will
be easier to fine tune if they are, because you'll be able to add/subtract
distance in small equal increments.

> 2.  What size variac contoller is advisable for a system with a 15kV 120mA
> supply?  How do you calculate that size?

2kVA minimum (18 amps at 120 volts).  But bigger is better, so get a
25amp/3kVA unit if you have a choice.

> 3.  Do NST's in parallel need to have the cases connected?  (I read that they
> do somewhere?)

All the NST cases should connect to the same heavy RF ground as the safety
gap, the bottom of the secondary coil, the strike rail and anything else
that might get struck. So yes, the cases should be electrically connected
together, and _must_ be grounded.

> 4.  Can line filters be run in parallel to increase the rating?

Yes, you can add the current (ampere) ratings.

-Adam
adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net