[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: That secondary behaviour, E-Tesla5, and Corum's thing...

Just a short comment about the following:

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 08:07:26 -0600 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

<snipped>

> Original Poster: "Robert Jones" <alwynj48-at-earthlink-dot-net>
> The coils behaviours as a classical transmission
> line due to
> its distributed capacitance and inductance which result in the
> comparatively
> slow propagation of ALL SIGNALS along the axis of the coil.
> Typically a
> thousands of time slower than the velocity along a wire or coax
> cable.

<snipped>

> The fundamental requirement for this to occur in the average Tesla
> coil at
> say 100KHz is the slow propagation of signal along the axis of the
> coil.
>
> A Tesla coil has all the theoretical requirement  of distributed
> capacitance
> and inductance to support  slow propagation.

<snipped>

 Signals propagates relatively slowly due to the delay caused
> by
> charging the parallel capacitors via the series inductors.

<snipped>

However the interturn capacitance is thousands of  times
> too small
> for any significant signal to reach the end rapidly.

<snipped>

<You can readily observe the slow  propagation, reflections and resonance
 up to several times the fundamental.

Comment:

See my posting of yesterday about the experiment I did.  I don't fathom
what is meant, in the above & in postings on other occasions, by "slow":
I see on my scope screen a) a short sine-wave burst from my sig. gen.
applied to my secondary's bottom end (at resonance or elsewhere) and b)
the voltage at the top end via a 10:1 probe.  At the beginning of the 1st
cycle at the bottom, the voltage at the top starts to rise immediately.
At the instant when the 1st 1/4 cycle of the exciting wave passes thru
zero, the 1st 1/4 cycle of the top signal has risen & is at its peak;
that is, already, the top signal is dead-on at -90 deg. phase shift (as
close as I can see it on Tek 7904, where I can expand that 1st 1/4 cycle
to 2 cm of screen or more)--and it remains at that phase forevermore
(until the end of the burst, that is).

Now, I suppose one could say that the >voltage rise< of the top voltage
is "slow"--but that's just the phenomenon you would expect where you are
exciting an LC circuit, at resonance or wherever.  I see no difference in
the behavior I describe either at or away from resonance; it's just that,
at resonance, the top voltage keeps going up & up for a while.

So, what else is "slow"?  Is it >I< who am slow, or what?

Ken Herrick
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.