[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: simple questions

my comments inserted below...

Original Poster: "Trent Mullins" <neontrent-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hello All,

I have a couple simple questions I hope I can get answers to.

1.  How important is it to have all the gaps spaced perfectly in a RQ TCBOR
gap?

It helps keep the wear even, but I seen an incredibly crude RQ gap function
flawlessly on a big 6" coil before. It really isn't that hard to get them
close - just drill the bolt holes oversized so you have some adjustment.

2.  What size variac contoller is advisable for a system with a 15kV 120mA
supply?  How do you calculate that size?

I had good luck with a 10A variac on a system of this size.  Sure, you are
pulling 20-25 amps, but you can overload variacs quite a bit with low duty
cycle.

3.  Do NST's in parallel need to have the cases connected?  (I read that
they
do somewhere?)

I connect mine for TC use.  I also connect them to my earth ground.  I have
left them unconnected while working on the bench and have never seen them
arc between or anything.

4.  Can line filters be run in parallel to increase the rating?

Hmmm.  Good question.  I also wonder about wiring them up backwards (as some
coilers have suggested).

Many thanks to all the talented people that help me with this project,
One more step in my Tesla journey...
Trent Mullins

Good luck,
Ross