[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: simple questions

Trent-

1) I built an "alan piece of crap put together in 5 minutes gap" for my
first coil. The interesting is that it had about 4 gaps each spaced
differently. the spaces were between .015" and .025". This gap worked fine,
(and still does, but looks ugly).

2) I believe that a 15 amp variac will be enough to hold your 15/120 nst. I
had a bank of three 15/60s running on a 12 amp variac.. of course then
again one of the nsts had PFC built in. To find out the rating of the
variac, you should wire a ammmter in series w/ the primary side and see how
much current it draws.

3) My system had three 15/60 nsts in paralle.. talk about power and weight.
Electrically speaking, if you connect the grounds from your case, the cases
would be connected through the ground hookup wire. This worked fine for my
purposes. I had a small gap between each nst to use as a clamp to hold
wires down. I had all my wires wrapped in some platic tubing too.(i was
very cautious.. but i still blew caps:(.. and burned a secondary:(..)

4) No clue to this, but i would like to see if this works.!
good luck
-Alan

Original Poster: "Trent Mullins" <neontrent-at-earthlink-dot-net>

 Hello All,

 I have a couple simple questions I hope I can get answers to.

 1.  How important is it to have all the gaps spaced perfectly in a RQ TCBOR
 gap?

 2.  What size variac contoller is advisable for a system with a 15kV 120mA
 supply?  How do you calculate that size?

 3.  Do NST's in parallel need to have the cases connected?  (I read that they
 do somewhere?)

 4.  Can line filters be run in parallel to increase the rating?

 Many thanks to all the talented people that help me with this project,
 One more step in my Tesla journey...
 Trent Mullins