[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 7200 V too low?

In a message dated 4/14/00 3:46:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  Original Poster: "Nathan Ball" <nateburg-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>  Hi everyone
>
>  Checking with my dad's power company, all of the distribution transformers
>  in my town are at 7200 V.  I may still be able to get one if i'm
persistant,

>  but is 7200 going to run an appx. 3 kVA coil OK, or should I look for a
>  14.4?
>
>  Thanks,
>  Nathan

Nathan,

7200 volts is fine.  I used a pole pig of that voltage for my first medium
TC and magnifier, and ran it up to 5kVA or so, and got up to 80"
sparks.  It wasn't particularly efficient because those were my early
TC days, and I had limited room too.

Cheers,
John Freau