[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: simple questions

In a message dated 4/13/00 10:55:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

Trent, see answers below:

<< Hello All,

 I have a couple simple questions I hope I can get answers to.

 1.  How important is it to have all the gaps spaced perfectly in a RQ TCBOR
 gap?

Not critical, whithin a few thousandths would be fine.  I used feeler gauges
to set mine.  All the gaps are not exactly the same, but close enough.

 2.  What size variac contoller is advisable for a system with a 15kV 120mA
 supply?  How do you calculate that size?

This would be 1,800 watts, assuming perfect power factor correction caps are
used and no losses in the transformers.  This would be 15 amps from the 120
volt line.  Adding in transformer losses, probalby 20 amps or higher.  If a
resonant cap is used the current could be much higher.  The best bet would be
to use a 240 volt variac rated at 20 to 28 amps (standard powerstat) and run
two transformer primaries in series and in parallel with the other two.

 3.  Do NST's in parallel need to have the cases connected?  (I read that they
 do somewhere?)

Yes, ground all transformer cases.

 4.  Can line filters be run in parallel to increase the rating?

Yes, if they are the same exact filter.  If using two different
manufactureres of line filters, I don't think the results would be as
predictable but might work ok.

Ed Sonderman

 Many thanks to all the talented people that help me with this project,
 One more step in my Tesla journey...
 Trent Mullins