[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Reactance and small pigs

Salutations again!

What exactly is reactance?  I know how to calculate it and how it relates to
required capacitance for the coil, but i'm not quite sure what it is.

A 7200 3 kVA pig has about 17,000 ohms of reactance (7200v/0.416mA), while a
14400 3 kVA has about 70,000 ohms(14400v/0.208mA).  With the equation for
capacitance i have,

    1/(2*pi*60hz*[Reactance of transformer in ohms])=capacitance in Farads.

So for resonance with a 14400 I need 0.038uF and for a 7200 for the same
wattage i need a whopping 0.15uF!!  so you can see, i'd really  really
rather have a 14400 v 3 kVA pig than just a 7200.

One possibility someone said is to attach the primaries of two pigs in
parallel and the secondaries in series. I can do this, but what happens then
to the wattage? does it stay the same? if so, why? do you have to have some
equation for series transformers just like series resistors?

Thanks all,

Nathan
PS is all of my math right as far as equations, or am I misinformed? Hope it
is!