[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 7200 V too low?

In a message dated 4/15/00 2:12:09 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  My transformer is a 14.4  5kva unit.  I feed it 240 volts in and get
14,400
>  out.  I believe these transformers are rugged and over designed enough to
>  allow you to input 240 volts in to the 120 volt tap and get 14,400 out of
>  7,200 volt unit.  Has anyone tried this?
>
>  Ed Sonderman

Ed,

The transformer will saturate.  The input voltage can be raised to
perhaps 25% over the rated input voltage at the most, before it becomes
too inefficient due to saturation.  It's all a matter of the volts per turn
for which the transformer was designed.

Cheers,
John Freau