[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NST Safety Gap Question.

Greetings All,

I picked up a second 9kv-at-30ma NST and decided that
I now will definitely need a safety gap.  So I
hooked one up and paralleled the NST's.  The gap
constantly fired, it did not fire when connected
up to one NST directly.  So I doubled the spacing
of the gap and then it still fired often.

So I am wondering what are the basic rules for setting
the safety gap so that it only fires upon a primary
strike, or something potentially equally devastating?

Or does it sound like I maybe have another problem, like
maybe to small a wire in the primary hookups?

By the way my variac is electrically tingling me
with the two NST paralleled.  Will this stop if I
stop using the house ground for the NST's and variac?

Many Thanks,
Bill Parn