[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Q pumping and need for proper RF phasing. was: Comments onCorum

Hi Boris, all,

> Original Poster: "boris petkovic" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>

> --- Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
> > Original Poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
> >
> > In a message dated 4/16/00 6:01:03 AM Pacific
> > Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > writes:
> >
> > > .unless you haven't enormously high
> > >  > break rate 10000 BPS or more which again isn't
> > case
> > >  > for "normal" TC operation.Some Corums
> > statements are
> > >  > very weird as concerns low of conservation of
> > energy.
> > >  >
> > >  > Regards,
> > >  > Boris
> >
> > Boris, all,
> >
> > And even if you did run the coil in a vacuum (no
> > streamer loading) with
> > a super high breakrate, so that the bang energy from
> > each bang could
> > perhaps build upon the previous bang (as the Corums
> > and Tesla spoke
> > of doing), the phase problem (phase differences
> > between subsequent
> > bangs) would remain, and prevent any build up I
> > would think (because
> > of cancellations).  The only way this could
> > possibly work at all (Q pumping) would be to cause
> > the subsequent
> > bangs to occur in (RF) phase, using some kind of
> > precise electronic
> > timing control for the gap firing timing.
> ------
> ...And this is  onemore fish in a pot that might cause
> a problems even despite modern advanced technology
> (not a mention Tesla's time).
> As I said in reply post to Ed today, such operation is
> too artificial,too complicated and too unusual to be
> called TC running .(at least for me).

I have done it using power MOSFETs in a small disruptive coil.
essentially I was running the thing in class C by the time I was
exciting the coil on a per cycle basis. No mechanical gap in the
world (together with its attendant spark) could possibly match the
kind of timing and phasing required.
> -------
>

>   The
> > Corums, and Tesla, both
> > seem to ignore this important RF phasing issue,
> > since they both speak
> > of the use of ordinary rotary gaps.  Perhaps they
> > intended to use some
> > method to insure proper RF phasing, but did not
> > mention it.  Or perhaps
> > Tesla did speak of the need for RF phasing, but I'm
> > not aware of it?
> ------
> I don't know what The Corums or Tesla meant.
> I just know Tesla had a tendention to approach CW and
> CW modulated operation after 1900s.
> Most likely,he wanted to use some sort of advanced
> circuit breaker for these purposes at time.
>
> Regards,
> Boris

CW running would have been almost a necessity for transmitting
useful power I would think. It would have had the side benefit of
reducing peak power and hence peak output voltages while
maintaining a steady strong power throughput. NOt a very exciting
way to operate a TC if you ask me :)

Regards,
Malcolm