[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: NST Safety Gap Question.

Greetings,

That is what I did initially, then when it would not stop firing I opened
it up to twice that distance and it still fired 1 to 2 times a second.
Maybe I need to redesign a better one, it is built inside a piece of
2" ID PVC pipe.  I built it in the form of a peace sign, instead of
three equally spaced pies.  Maybe that is where it is going wrong.

> Regarding the "tingling" off your variac, this indicates that it is hot
> with R.F. or possibly a ground fault exists.  Make sure that your T.C.
> secondary bottom, your center terminal of your safety gaps, and the
> cases of your N.S.T.'s are all connected together and to a GOOD ground
> separate from the third pin ground of your power cord.  The ground wire
> of your power cord should be connected to the metal frame of the variac,
> any metal parts of your control panel, and the ground terminal of your
> E.M.I. line filter only.

Okay sounds like a good plan to me.  I believe I have all the parts now
to design it just like you stated above.  One thing that I am still
questioning a little is whether or not to connect the NST's up to the
same ground as the secondary though.  Would it maybe be better to have
a another isolated ground for the safety gap and the NST that are not
being pushed around as much as the ground hooked up to the secondary?

Would a isolation transformer help anywhere in this schematic?

> 73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL
>
> Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
> E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
>            or ve3ear-at-rac.ca