[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What IS special about a Tesla coil?

> Original Poster: "Benkanosan" <benkanosan-at-townsqr-dot-com>

Hi Noah.

>  "Dr. Tesla, what is SPECIAL about a Tesla coil?"

    Great post--I love the imagery.  As another "artistic" non-engineer to
another,
I would say the special thing about it is Resonance.
    It is one of those concepts that permeates most of what we
do--especially in
the musical realm, which is *my* specialty.  Having an embodiment of the
harmonical
proportion in front of you, emitting great, long, *loud* sparks is quite
inspiring.  I think the impressiveness of the giant bell in Big Ben has the
same
effect.
    As a non-musician, it is of course special because it is a raw display of
electrical power.  For anyone who has ever been interested in high voltage (or
pyrotechnics, etc. etc.) the Tesla Coil takes the proverbial cake.  Simply
connect
the dots.  What do lasers, Tesla Coils, rockets, Van-De Graff generators, and
dynamite all have in common?
    They all display powerful, fundamental natural forces.  They all
follow, if you
will, Nature's benevolent design.

> My acronym: WWTS - What Would Tesla Say?

    I'm not sure what Tesla would say.  He's probably disagree with my artful
"psychologizing", and argue that Tesla coils were critical for the
advancement of
humankind, the development of radio, the transmission of power, and the
creation of
artificial intelligence.  Who knows?  He might be right.
                --Mike