[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: commercial cap failure

In a message dated 4/20/00 2:58:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< Ed
 I had a saftey gap across the cap and it would fire on occasion. I was
 using a series static gap in a box with a vacuume cleaner motor and a
 variac for adjustment. It wasnt untill I added the rotory in place of
 the series static gap that this happened. Everything was working fine
 untill I added the rotory. any help is appreciated if I have a 60 cycle
 resonance problem.This probably a dumb but is it possible that when I
 added the rotory the added lead lenghts could of induced some kind of
 resonance problem. These were the only two things that I changed in my
 system
 Best Regards Jeff.

Jeff,

If you had a safety gap across the cap, I would think that you did not kill
it with overvoltage.  What is the gap width set to?  What are you using for
ballast for the pole transformer?  When I was having this problem, the sound
coming from the rotary was not nice and smooth, there was frequent odd noises
that sounded like small explosions or backfires - not exactly, but I don't
know how else to describe it.  When I changed the ballast from the welder to
a large variac, this all went away.

Ed Sonderman