[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: GM coil record (was Solid State Record )

Terry wrote:

>If course, even now, the coveted GMHEICSLR still remains firmly mine ;-))
>He he he!!!
>http://www.pupman-dot-com/listarchives/2000/January/msg00257.html
>
>I can understand the effort required to "write this up"!  It appears you
>now hold the coveted record for spark length out of CW coils!  I leave it
>to others to come up with the "acronym" for that ;-))
>
>Cheers,
>
>       Terry
>        Still proud holder the coveted GMHEICSLR* at 13.25 inches. :-))
>
>*General Motors High Energy Ignition Coil Spark Length Record
>
>Don't EVEN think of trying to take the coveted GMHEICSLR* away from me
>either ;-)))

Rules of engagement are important...   Is that the SGMHEICSLR? (SINGLE
GM....) or are you claiming a record for any number of HEI coils.

I am too lazy to look in the archives, but was that almost 14" spark with a
cored or de-cored HEI coil?  I know you were driving it at somewhat above
its design primary voltage (heh,heh)...

based on some numbers that Bob Wroblewski sent me, at 12Volts, the limiting
current will be about 3.2 Amps (DC resistance is 3.7 ohms by working from Q
measurement).  With the 3.6 mH inductance, this is a stored energy of a
feeble 10-20 mJoule, which seems low ( I'd expect 50-100 mJ, stock).  As I
recall, you were pumping a joule or so?