[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

The fabulous GMHEICSLR Cup!

>snip...
>For those that "don't get it"...  Long ago I started a project to make a
>simple easy to build "beginner's" Tesla coil out of a General Motors HEI
>ignition coil.  I was successful!  Unfortunately too successful...  The
>coil's high energy and low frequency of operation make it very dangerous!
>Definitely NOT a beginner's toy!  The 10kHz 92,537 volt output will hit you
>like a ton of bricks if you were ever to connect with it.  However, the old
>typical spark lengths of 6 inches for auto ignition coils operated in the
>ludicrous region were far exceeded (I do modify it by removing the steel
>core).  As far as I know, the 13.25 inch arc I got out of an ignition coil
>is by far the furthest ever recorded.  In this case, the General Motor's
>coil was picked as a standard.  Ford and others coils don't count toward the
>"GMHEICSLR".
>
>Cheers,
>
>       Terry
>        Still proud holder the coveted GMHEICSLR* at 13.25 inches. :-))
>
>*General Motors High Energy Ignition Coil Spark Length Record
>
>BTW - Unlike other similar, but less important, things like the Stanley Cup
>or the America's Cup, the GMHEICSLR has no cup.  I'll try to remedy that
>situation this weekend! ;-))

Done!!  The coveted GMHEICSLR now has an official cup.  With $15 and a trip
to the odd imports place, I created the fabulous "GMHEICSLR Cup"!

http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/site/misc/trophy.jpg

To be held by the holder of the coveted GMHEICSLR.  The GMHEICSLR Cup will
denote the holder as the present world's record holder for achieving the
longest electrical arc from a General Motors high energy ignition coil.

Of course, I don't think it will be leaving it's present spot any time
soon!! ;-)))

Jim mentioned "rules of engagement".  I would propose the following.

1.	You must use a "GM" (not Ford, Toyota, etc.) style high energy ignition
coil.  It may be from any aftermarket manufacturer as long as it is a
direct replacement for the OEM part.  Reasonable modifications are fine.

2.	You can only use one coil at a time.  Of course, you can burn up 10s,
100s, or 1000s of coils in attempting to beat the present GMHEICSLR ;-))

3.	It must be operated as a "Tesla coil".  Capacitive discharge or CW is
fine.  No "funny business" like pumping 500kV into the base of the coil
from another 10KVA Tesla coil system ;-))

4.	Since this really IS the world's record, any person my make the attempt
weather they be on this list or not.

5.	You must be willing to disclose any details of the setup you use to
achieve the GMHEICSLR.  This maintains competitiveness and insures
verification.  This should not be a problem because even when you know
everything, is still is not at all easy!

6.	It has been noted that this type of coil can be very dangerous.  As
always, be extremely careful!

7.	Other rules may be added if needed but we will NOT nit pick...

The present record is 13.25 inches which was achieved twice, before the
coil blew, on November 22, 1988 by your's truly.

http://www.pupman-dot-com/listarchives/1998/November/msg00694.html

Cheers,

	Terry
 	"Still" proud holder the coveted GMHEICSLR and now the fabulous GMHEICSLR
Cup! ;-))