[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: commercial cap failure

> Original Poster: "Basura, Brian" <brian.basura-at-unistudios-dot-com>
>
> Jeff,
>
> When I went to a rotary I had the same symptoms as Ed (erratic sounds
sorta
> like a car backfire). Rebuilding the primary circuit by shorting all the
> leads and beefing up the connections along with adding 50% more primary
> capacitance resolved those problems.

Adding more inductive ballasting would produce the same results as
adding more primary capacitance.  The reason for this is that you need
a lot more current to charge up the larger primary capacitor (thus, less
inductive ballasting is required).  I posted a relatively length discussion
of adding inductive ballasting in a reply to Rotary popping that you may
want to take a look at.

Hope this helps!

David L. McKinnon
D&M's High Voltage

> Brian B.
>
> << Ed
>  I had a saftey gap across the cap and it would fire on occasion. I was
>  using a series static gap in a box with a vacuume cleaner motor and a
>  variac for adjustment. It wasnt untill I added the rotory in place of
>  the series static gap that this happened. Everything was working fine
>  untill I added the rotory. any help is appreciated if I have a 60 cycle
>  resonance problem.This probably a dumb but is it possible that when I
>  added the rotory the added lead lenghts could of induced some kind of
>  resonance problem. These were the only two things that I changed in my
>  system
>  Best Regards Jeff.
>   >>
> Jeff,
>
> If you had a safety gap across the cap, I would think that you did not
kill
> it with overvoltage.  What is the gap width set to?  What are you using
for
> ballast for the pole transformer?  When I was having this problem, the
sound
> coming from the rotary was not nice and smooth, there was frequent odd
> noises that sounded like small explosions or backfires - not exactly, but
I don't