[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Protecting Small Transformers

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the Tesla List.  There are getting to be quite a few UK coilers
now !

I think Oil Burner transformers are not built to a particularly high
standard,  but still maybe something is wrong.  You could try closing down
your main spark gap.  I see you have tried a safety gap,  so maybe try a
string of MOVs (Metal Oxide Varistors) right across the output of the
OBIT.  The list moderator has found these very effective.

Have you checked that the base of the secondary and the OBIT cases are
grounded well.  If something is left un-grounded then arcing can occur,
and this may kill the transformer.

If the transformers only fail after a few minutes of run-time,  they may
be overheating.  If this is the case,  then I think an NST might be the
best choice.  I think NSTs generally have thicker wire and better
insulation.

Best of luck,  and congratulations on first light,

							-Richie, (UK)

If you get real stuck get Bob to take a look at it ;-)