[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The GEHEISLR cup homepage.

Hi Matt,

At 04:13 PM 04/24/2000 -0400, you wrote:

>OK, I ve got a question about the rules.Does it have to be run as a tesla
>coil or can i disharge a high power cap through it?i was monkeying around and
>was getting big sparks until the caracterisics of the shape of the coil
>limited the size of sparks.Then my cap died.Also,would it help to take the
>coil out of the case?how?its under oil also.

You will never get to 13.2499 inches without operating it like a Tesla
coil.  The old record for people discharging big caps into ignition coils
is like 6 inches...

The GM coil has no oil.  The steel core is added later outside the molded
vacuum impregnated core that holds the primary and secondary.  It is very
easy to grind the welds and remove the surrounding core (beware the sharp
steel edges).

There were about 100,000,000 GM cars made with that ignition system (GM
HEI) and they seem to be available worldwide.  Even Target and K-mart sell
them here the last I looked.  They run about $15 at the discount auto parts
place.

1976 Cadillac 500 CID (I drove one of those tanks for 12 years ;-)) engines
had them as did 1983 Cadillac Elderado engines.  They guy (or gal) at the
parts store will know what you mean...

Cheers,

	Terry