[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Better Gap Worth Effort

Hello Coilers:

I made two improvements to my coil in the last few days, the first
being to replace my brine cap with a commercially made HV pulse
rated cap, and the second to "supercharge" my spark gap.

Changing the cap made quite an improvement, even though the measured
value is somewhat less than what my brine cap was, but the biggest
improvement was a result of mods to my RQ style gap.

I replaced the muffin fan with a vacuum cleaner blower from an old
Filter Queen, and machined the slots in the PVC pipe between the
copper gap segments.  Some internal baffling directs the air flow.

I'm amazed at the improvement.  It certainly was well worth the
effort and time to do the mods to the gap.  I'd encourage others
to do the same if you want more spark at a small cost.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
           or ve3ear-at-rac.ca