 From: "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
 To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
 Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2000 4:53 AM
 Subject: Microwave Oven Transformers (MOTs)

 > Original Poster: "Gavin Dingley" <gavin.dingley-at-astra.ukf-dot-net>
 >
 > Hi all,
 > I know this has been covered many times before, perhaps too many times.
 > I have gone through the archives, but I'm not quite sure on allot of
 > points, so here I go.

 go right ahead

 > You can connect the 240V primary windings of two MOTs in anti-phase
 > parallel, while connecting the ~2.5kV secondary windings in series. This
 > results in a supply that can deliver ~5kV -at- 250mA upto 1A?

 depending on the MOT's , around 4600V 500mA

 > As one of the secondary leads are connected to the core, electrically
 > you connect the HV lead from one transformer to the core of the next
 > transformer secondary?

 Nope, connect the core's together, and the 2 leads are your connections for
 the Tesla Coil

 > However, this means that the cores must be insulated from each other and
 > separated by some distance to stop arc-over from one core to the other.

 So no more trouble here...

 > Now I read somewhere in the archives that there is a possibility of
 > server corona forming around the core of one of the transformers. Does
 > this happen all the time, or is it only during disruptive discharge, if
 > so, can't the HF be filtered out first. If the problem is always
 > present, then why, surely the potential difference across the secondary
 > windings would be the same as if the transformers were used on their
 > own?

 With 2 MOT's in series, this shouldn't happen, at least it doesn't happen
 with my MOT's.

 > I also came across in the archives that there is a current surge
 > associated with this set-up. Would it be possible to put an inductor in
 > series with the primary circuit so as to limit this current surge,
 > perhaps another MOT with it's secondary leads tied together.

 Yes, you are right, there must be a ballast with MOT's, easiest is to
 put another MOT with the secondary shorted in series with the parallel with
 your
 2 MOT's

 > Well, I'll leave it at that to get the ball rolling.
 >
 > May I say in advance, thank you for you help. Your experience in these
 > matters is priceless.

 Your'e welcome

 > Regards,
 >
 > Gavin, U.K.

 Have fun, Jeroen Kooiman from The Netherlands.