[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Better Gap Worth Effort

> Original Poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>
>

> Hello Coilers:
>
> I made two improvements to my coil in the last few days, the first
> being to replace my brine cap with a commercially made HV pulse
> rated cap, and the second to "supercharge" my spark gap.
>
> Changing the cap made quite an improvement, even though the measured
> value is somewhat less than what my brine cap was, but the biggest
> improvement was a result of mods to my RQ style gap.
>
> I replaced the muffin fan with a vacuum cleaner blower from an old
> Filter Queen, and machined the slots in the PVC pipe between the
> copper gap segments.  Some internal baffling directs the air flow.
>
> I'm amazed at the improvement.  It certainly was well worth the
> effort and time to do the mods to the gap.  I'd encourage others
> to do the same if you want more spark at a small cost.

Congratulations Weazle!

Just by reading the Tesla mail for a couple of months convinced me also that
the cap was the part of the TC with the greatest losses and therefore the
first part to be improved. I'am planning to let my 'Catweazle 1' (ever seen
the TV sequence?) grow from unblowed stat cap through vacuum blowed through
supersonic blowed to very, very special cap (<10 usec is my goal). Details
will be reported at time (now busy with the garden). That brings me to the
following question: does anybody on this list knows the shortest quench time
achieved with static gaps?

Ruud.

Ruud