[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (Fwd) Re: Formula for self C of a Coil (not Medhurst)

snip...

>I should also point out the E-Tesla5 does have two "fudge" factors.
>
>The first is an integration constant that takes the calculations from a 2-d
>plane to a 3-d space.  Earlier versions had this figured out by hand but in
>the 5 version I let the program calculated if for me.  I didn't feel like
>spending another 20 hours doing those nasty hand cylindrical integrations
>that I am so poor at.  I am sure that it can be calculated out if anyone
cares.

>The second is the voltage distribution along the secondary for the bare and
>top terminal cases.  This is found by matching equations to actual
>measurements.  However, I think this situation is much like finding the
>displacement in "Malcolm's ruler" which could also be calculated by hand for
>the situation if anyone had the time and remember statics.  I have taken a
>ruler and flexed it over the graphs and they match ;-)
>
>So the fudge factors were based on lazyness rather than the factor's true
>nature being totally a mystery.  I always meant to go back and clean them up
>through mathematical torture but I still haven't got round to it ;-))  I
>really should fix this just so I can truly say it is based on "pure" science.
>
>Cheers,
>
>	Terry

I am using E-Tesla5 to try and figure out this distributed C thing and
early results look promising!!  Stay tuned..., there are still about 10
trillion calculations to go (that is not a joke!).

While waiting for the programs to crunch numbers I figured out the first
fudge factor.  The half plane to surface area constant 6.611 I fudged is
really 2/3 x pi^2 or 6.579725....  Which is 0.458% lower.

Now to find that statics book...

Cheers,

	Terry