[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Who's got the best coil? (was A figure of merit)

Hello all.

I read the messages some mailed about Ken's proposal for a figure of merit: I
refer to those horrified about a spark length contest.

As I see it, the meaning is not to allow somebody to state "I've got the best
TC!" or "Mine is better than your!".

In my opinion everyone's coil is the best, because he/she has put all his/her
effort into it.

But, as usually is, everybody tries to get "all the juice" out of his coil and
there is no better way to know how far he still is than to compare the results
with those the others have achieved. I did that with my first TC and I've got
the opinion that there are few improvements I could still achieve replacing any
of my components. I just need to build a bigger coil if I want longer
streamers.

I think, expecially if you are really new to coiling, it is very helpfull to
have the possibility to check what others have been able to do: then you can
tell, are you almost there or is there a component in your TC which is
seriously
flawed and limits your perfomance.

But how to find a coil similar to your? Different drive voltage, RSG rates,
secondary sizes, etc. Not very easy. I tought that at least one way to
characterize the whole tank supply and primary circuit would be that N*I I
posted some day ago.

N*I includes at least tank voltage and primary construction, even if it is very
rough. Any comments about this?

Regards

P.S. I have seen many TC on the web, and also the more "crappy" ones are just
beautiful! Each of them is one of its own.