[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: G10 (cutting a disk)

>>> <Tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> 04/27/00 04:19PM >>>
Original Poster: sdate-at-gte-dot-net

>snip
>What "special abrasive blade" is required to cut G-10??
   snip
Steve
         G-10 is heck on tooling. Diamond circular saw blades are very
good(also$$$) a triple tooth carbide blade 10" dia (30-50 teeth) will work
great (for awhile!) but will dull fast(fast,like when you start cutting
thru nails in wood!).. a sabre saw may be the way to go.(smaller cheaper
blades to trash)
for a band saw..... I have used 10-18 teeth/in  range .025thk in everything
from cheapo $10.00 blades to so called higher quality bi-metal to
"industrial grade" etc. with pretty much the same results- little bumps
instead of teeth.........several (3)blades died after two cuts thru 5"od x
1"wall G-10 tube...different feeds and vast differences in blade speed
did not seem to matter ........
. coolant "seemed" to help the blades life and at least kept the very very
abrasive dust from the bandsaw bearings & etc. (not to mention my lungs!) I
recommend dust mask, overalls or long sleeves,open garage doors with a fan
blowing from behind toward open doors. the dust can be like glass
insulation but worse in terms of skin (and the like)irritation. take care
and consider the blade a "throw away" .......
>>snip
> You need a special abrasive blade in your bandsaw to effectively cut G-10.
> If you cut it on your standard blade the blade is trash.
> Regards,
> Dr. Resonance
snip
I do not have experience with this these types of blades(avail. from MSC or
McMC I would think)but they  are for  "difficult" materials and G-10 fits
the bill.
I am in Portland so feel free to call if I can assist 1-800-343-0444 x4003
(plastics machining company-we hate this stuff!)
good luck
Robert