[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Microwave Oven Transformers (MOTs)

> Original Poster: "Gavin Dingley" <gavin.dingley-at-astra.ukf-dot-net>
>
> Hi ya,
> I am using a NST at the moment, but it's rated at 5kV -at- 25mA max. I don't
seem
> to have too much trouble quenching, is that because of the magnetic shunt
in
> the transformer? If so, then it definitely would be a problem with an MOT.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gavin, U.K.

Hi Gavin,

It's the current that makes it hard to quench! A MOT can deliver at least a
factor 20 more current. A MOT is also a little current limited, but not as
much as a NST. But hey, what are we talking about. Find out where they are
collected in your city and fetch some of them. Wouldn't you like to play
more with 4.6kV/500mA then 5.0kV/25mA? (Look out though, MOT's are REALLY
deadly).

Greetings from Holland

Ruud de Graaf