[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Who's got the best coil? (was A figure of merit)

> Original Poster: "Marco Denicolai" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs.fi>
>
> Hello all.
>
> I read the messages some mailed about Ken's proposal for a figure of
merit: I
> refer to those horrified about a spark length contest.
>
> As I see it, the meaning is not to allow somebody to state "I've got the
best
> TC!" or "Mine is better than your!".
>
> In my opinion everyone's coil is the best, because he/she has put all
his/her
> effort into it.

Snip...

> N*I includes at least tank voltage and primary construction, even if it is
very
> rough. Any comments about this?

I fully agree with you Marco, at least about the contest aspect of it.
However, i notice that i print out all the reported "first/second/.. light"
where details are given. Why? Because it is nice to know if the effort
somebody takes to improve one's TC is realistic and in my opinion that would
justify at least an 'official' list (located on pupman-dot-com?) with reported
and in some way (and this would be difficult, maybe impossible) verified
results.
Not anonamous however, because it must be possible to get in touch with 'the
master' to copy or - even better - improve their results!

As a value, I would promote straight arc length to grounded conductor
divided by input power (Meters/Watts), because the whole TC system
efficiency is been taking into account that way.

Ruud de Graaf