[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: spark length, bps, power, new formulas

John -

I can appreciate the difficulties you are encountering in your efforts in
trying to find an equation that represents the spark length of a classical
Tesla coil. As you know I have been trying to develop a spark length
equation that would give an approximate length for a specific TC design. Now
that the JHCTES Ver 3.1 program is available for free downloading on the
Internet it will be possible for more coilers to design a particular coil
and verify the spark length indicated by the program.

In the past I have used controlled spark lengths as a standard for JHCTES
designs. However, with the Ver 3.1 I am using streamer sparks as there is
more infomation on this type of spark. The problem with streamer sparks is
that they are a random output from the Tesla coil so are not a reliable
method to measure output. However, there is now more streamer spark
information available so I used this info for the Ver 3.1 program.

The program's basic spark length equation is:

   Spark inches = A * sq rt(input watts)

This equation is then modified by a variable "A" that is dependent on the
primary voltage, the secondary inductance, and whether the power transformer
is a neon or a pole type transformer. These variables are the ones that have
the greatest effect on the spark length in addition to the input watts.
Using the JHCTES Ver 3.1 program it will now be possible for coilers to
design a specific  classical Tesla coil and verify how accurate the
program's spark length represents the real world.

John H. Couture