[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

MOTs...Exploring the Low End of TC Voltage Part II

Fellow Coilers,

Inspired by the frequent queries about MOTs on this list, I've just
conducted a simple test with my 4" Tesla coil driven by a pair of
unballasted MOTs in series at only 4800VAC, but at insane current.  Results
were pretty gratifying.  The only thing I did to the coil was to close the
gap down so it could fire at the reduced input voltage.  Output sparks were
shorter, but thicker and more intense.  See the results for yourself at:

www.angelfire-dot-com/ga3/tesla/motpwr.htm

Or you can go to the "Greg's Garage" site on the TC Web Ring and look under
"New Stuff!"

This may offer hope to low budget coilers who can't find used NSTs and
can't afford a pole pig or potential xfmr.  Just two MOTs folks...no
ballast, no filter, no doubler circuitry, no nothing.  Mains current was
provided by a 230V/20A window A/C outlet.  Our UK cousins can probably do
the same thing using a cooker or clothes dryer outlet.  I don't think the
regular 13A household outlet could cope without a ballast.

My coil is optimized to run on 9KV at medium current, yet the low voltage,
high current MOTs still did a respectable job.  I know I'm not the first
guy to do this, but this simple & cheap power supply option seems largely
unexplored.  It presents some challenges in the area of spark gap design,
but so what?  I'm enthused.

Are you reading this Gavin?

Best Regards,

Greg Hunter