[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MOTs...Exploring the Low End of TC Voltage Part II

At 09:03 PM 28/04/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Original Poster: "Gregory R. Hunter" <ghunter-at-accucomm-dot-net>
>
>Fellow Coilers,
>
>Inspired by the frequent queries about MOTs on this list, I've just
>conducted a simple test with my 4" Tesla coil driven by a pair of
>unballasted MOTs in series at only 4800VAC, but at insane current.  Results
>were pretty gratifying.  The only thing I did to the coil was to close the
>gap down so it could fire at the reduced input voltage.  Output sparks were
>shorter, but thicker and more intense.  See the results for yourself at:
>
>www.angelfire-dot-com/ga3/tesla/motpwr.htm
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Greg Hunter
>Cochran, GA, USA

On a similar note, a friend who knows I'm into coiling just dropped off
a real nice transformer to me.  It's out of a British radar set and has
a 240 volt primary and a 5.5 KV -at- 250 mA. secondary.  I doubt very much
that there are any shunts, from what I see of the core, so what is your
suggestion for ballasting this hunk of iron?

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
           or ve3ear-at-rac.ca