[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

15 kv with two MOTs?

hey all
since the list seems to be talking so much about MOTs, heres what i've done
with them :). a while back i had two MOT caps connected in series to two
MOTs connected in series on 120 volt line. I was just makin some pops and
bangs with the caps, when suddenly a wire from the cap slips out of the core
of one MOT and begins to arc. The arc was extremely bright. Then i heard a
really loud discharge. I thought one of my caps had blown up. I tried it
again by arcing the caps. A Saw the discharge again!!! it was a once inch
spark from the terminals of one MOT cap. 15 kv at .7 mf sure is loud! but
how can 5 kv goto 15 kv you say? well i believe that when the wire slipped
and arced it created a resonance between the secondary of the MOT and the
cap. what do you all think about this?
i was maybe thinking about making a small Rotary gap to feed caps upto 15 kv
like this. i dunno if it will work.
heres the schem  http://angelfire-dot-com/rnb/moneyyuba/MOT.jpg

regards
-----------manjinder bains------------