Re: avalon safety

>Original poster: "Metlicka Marc" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>
>
>chris,
>i want to add a few things to your safety list while in this building.
>you will want to invest in some safety "do not operate" tags, as you go
>through and start checking disconnects, close them and place a tag on
>it. this way there's a better chance no one will heat a line up while
>you're working on it.

Lockouts are a standard item in any large remodel /heavy construction
project. I swear by them and hav them not only for disconnects, but valves
and plugs as well.

>also, when you do get into these buildings, keep your eyes out for any
>folders, books, paperwork and check them for what are called "one line
>drawings" these are generally put in every vault, mcr, electric shop or
>some offices. a one line drawing set generally shows the power routing
>for the whole plant, hv in to the smallest motor including mcc can
>layouts and locations. these will be indispensable if you can locate a
>few sets. they will have voltage, amps and taps for transformers.
>one more thing, if you locate the electrical eng. office or the electric
>shop, look for conduit bank layout prints, there is usually quite a few
>sets strewn about the plant. these are a god send to locate "how do we
>get power from there to here".

I'v looked everywhere I could think of, but you have to keep in mind the
size of this place. I will be discovering new rooms (and even floors) for
many months to come. I just found out that the 3 story offices I've been
through 20 times over the past few weeks, are actually 4 stories! lol A
little hidden door off in a corner leads to a sub basement that is over
10000 sqft.

a good "fox and hound" inductance wire
>tracer will help find wiring already in place that you can use.

I have a couple, and a Telecom version as well, I love 'em :) Before I had
any real sponsors for tools we used a ratty old ghetto blaster to trace
wires. Hook one spaker wire to Ground, the other to the wire you want to
test. Just make SURE it isn't hot or you have to find another radio.

>after your sure most power is dead in an area or cable tray you can do
>the "quart of soap and gallon of hot water locator trick" pour the soap
>and water down the conduit you want to use and put the air to it, look
>for the bubble's and there's your conduit bank. this may sound hoaky but
>it was taught to me by an old electrician and we even used it on a
>running mill. his saying was "if a little soap and water blows something
>up, then it needed replaced anyway"just make sure your not blowing into
>a disconnect can or cabinet

That's the coolest idea I've heard in a long time :) You can also "Mouse"
the conduit. In an empty conduit run one of those Mouse jobbies (a little
nerf Cylinder with a hook on it) with a piece of string,, just look around
for your Mouse when it pops out the other end. (usually in a J box)

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / Founder
The Geek Group
www.geekgroup-dot-org