Re: How bout this for a gap? A disk interrupted gap.

In a message dated 8/19/00 2:25:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> > > the gap where the slots serve to allow a path for sparking and the
>  spaces
>  > > between the slots serve to cut quench the gap where the slots arrive
>  over the
>  > > electrodes just at the right time and the space quench the gap at the
>  right
>  > > time.
>  > >
>  > > This might be accomplished by adjusting the speed of the disk OR
>  prescise
>  > > placement of the slots.

Garry,

I forgot to mention in my other posting, but the quenching time
is not critical, and you can't control it by a disc like that.  It will
quench when it's ready to quench.  Normal rotaries quench while
the electrodes are still aligned.  Rotaries don't quench by stretching
the spark and breaking it.  The real purpose of a rotary gap is
timing the sparks, the whipping air does help to cool and quench
it too though.

JOhn Freau