Re: Getting Closer to First Light with 10KVA Pig

At 12:42 PM 20/08/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Ryan Ries" <spud-at-wf-dot-net>
>
>The reason why I am so insistant on using 120v is that if used 240v,
>the output of the pig would be over 28Kv, and my capacitors could
>never handle that.
>
>Ryan Ries

Hello Ryan,

Unless you have an unconventional pig, you'll have no problem running
it on 240 volts rather than 120.  All of the pigs that I've seen have
two low voltage windings, generally connected in series, and brought
out to the three heavy terminals on the side.

I'm assuming your pig is 14.4 KV on the high voltage side, and if
that's the case, feeding 240 volts to the outside pair of low
voltage terminals will give you 14.4 KV on the high voltage side.
However, if you fed 120 volts to the outside pair of low voltage
terminals, you'd only get 7.2 KV out.

Keep in mind that all other things being equal, if you double the
voltage, you'll half the current, but still get the same wattage
output.  I'd go the 240 volt route if I where you, as you'll get
by with a smaller breaker in your panel and you won't need to
use as large a gauge of wire for your supply feeders.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
           or ve3ear-at-rac.ca