Re: Getting Closer to First Light with 10KVA Pig

----------
> From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Getting Closer to First Light with 10KVA Pig
> Date: Sunday, August 20, 2000 11:42 AM
>
> Original poster: "Ryan Ries" <spud-at-wf-dot-net>
>
> 	Well, we're getting closer to lighting up our Veretus coil with the new
> transformer, but there are still some heavy preparations to be made.
First
> of all, when I asked about the ballasting with a welder, you told me that
> the current scale on the welder will probably bear no relation to the
> actual current going to the pig.  As such, does anyone out there have a
> high-power (100amp) ammeter to sell?

Solution #1, the real low buck approach...
Build a high current shunt... A bar of copper, or a length of #4 wire, and
measure the voltage across it with the current passing through.  You can
calibrate it with lower currents (say 10 Amps with lightbulb loads..)

Solution #2, the $25 approach..
Get a current transformer designed for just this application.  They are
typically rated in terms of their full scale current with a 5A full scale
meter on the secondary winding, e.g. 100:5 or 200:5.  Newark carries them,
as do most industrial electric supply kinds of places.  Price NEW is around
$25, used, you can find them for $5.  Warning... DO NOT run one of these
with the secondary open circuited...

 Fortunately, I found a surplus of