Re: calculating safe primary turn-to-turn distance

On 25 Aug 00, at 23:43, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Stan" <sdarling-at-columbus.rr-dot-com>
>
> Greetings all,
>
> I have been curious since I started doing Tesla coils about this:  how
> does one calculate the minimum air distance of turn to turn spacing in a
> primary for a given voltage?  I'm not an EE so my common sense tells me
> that current always favors the path of least resistance and that even a
> tiny distance of air would have a much greater R than the adjacent half
> turn of Cu tubing. So if the adjacent turns weren't touching, why would
> it ever arc over through the air?  I suspect it has something to do with
> the inductance of the Cu tubing coil(s) ....

You're right - and certainly not stupid. An easy approach is
to divide the peak primary voltage you will ever run the coil
with by the number of turns to get a volt/turn gradient. You
can base spacing on that but there is a catch - turn-turn
flashover will most likely occur at the insulating supports as
tracking over the insulators is a favoured path for a spark to
follow. So spacing should really take this into account rather
than the airgap between the turns.

Regards,
Malcolm