Re: Microwave oven fan motors

Thanks heaps for the help. I've read about synchronous, shaded-pole
induction motors, and all the rest.
I *think* that induction motors run at a speed determined by the frequency
of the AC source. Induction motors are nearly synchronous but run slightly
slow, and synchronous motors run at an exact multiple of 60 hertz for the
U.S. and 50 hertz for New Zealand. Is this correct or another pipe dream?
Microwave oven motors are cheap, very inefficient, and slightly slower than
synchronous because of the starting system which slows it down when it is
running, after it has been started. Is this correct?

My father brought home a tachometer from his timber mill and I am currently
conducting experiments on the reel-to-reel tape recorder motor. I am still
not confident on what that is.

Alan.