Re: Tube coil success story (and still more puzzles)

Carl

Great work and good to hear you got the unit working!  Several
additional comments to your post...

1.  MOT's have a tendency to run VERY hot.  Suggest putting a
     shaded pole fan from a salvaged MO on the transformer, and on
     next rebuild, use a more beefy transformer.  A 2.4kV PT (20:1)
     rated at 0.75kW will handle 2.5X that in Tesla service, and would
     be excellent in this application..
2.  Some of the loading seen by the MOT  may be caused by the
     shunt capacitor sizes you are using.  0.4uF is a little large for the
     MOT bypass, and a 0.4uF across the LS HV diode shouldn't
     be needed.

But I can't argue with 20" spark lengths  ;^).  Way to go!

Regards

Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA