Re: More tube coil stuff (Carl Willis)...

Carl,

I did not use flat spirals but rather concentric solenoids.  I used #22 AWG
enameled wire for the driver winding and #26 AWG for the outboard 3rd coil,
both on 4" PVC.  The driver winding got pretty warm.  No topload, just a
tungsten tip.  22" brush discharge with a single 833A. See
http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/3108/833mag01.html. The
outboard resonator was 14" wound length, the driver was about 8" wound
length.  Tank coil was #10 solid AWG PVC covered 600 volt wire.  Grid coil
below it was #14 solid PVC covered 600 volt wire.  Form was 8" PVC pipe I
think, it has been a while and I no longer have the device in my lab.

Someone recently asked about my big vac toob TC, the CoronatronTM.  It uses
three 5kW plate dissipation triodes in parallel (EEV BR1160) and runs about
5 kVDC fully filtered on the plate supply at several amps.  I've not had
the chance to play with it in several years.  My plan was to build a
totally new tank for it out of 3/4 inch copper tubing as the present 22
inch diameter tank is made from RG-214, double silver braid coax.  It gets
to the point of almost melting the plastic overcovering after about 60
seconds at just 6.5 kW plate input.  You make stuff outa what you got at
the time.  It is to be a magnifier setup.  I've used it only so far by
dropping the 14" secondary coil from my MTC disruptive TC that throws 13+
footers into the tank.  It suffers clearance and flashover problems by the
time I hit 3 kW in so I've never been able to give it a good test.  The
uncle fester photo
http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/3108/uncfestr.html with me
holding a 1000 watt tungsten filament lamp in my mouth ablaze as a plasma
globe was taken with me standing near this TC operating below spark
breakout at a low couple of kW input.  The e-field gradient in the area was
quite high.  Sorry, no photos of the Coronatron on the website.

Robert W. Stephens
Director
AREA31 Research Facility
www.area31-dot-org