Re: The RAT coil.

Original poster: "Finn Hammer" <f-hammer-at-post5.tele.dk>

Richie, all

Those flats,(which are the same flat, really, symmetric on each
halfphase) Have me baffeled too, something that I had not expected at
all. From simulations I had expected this:

http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/msim.jpg

The overshoot before the break at 2mS is also unaccounted for. I guess
that it has to do with some peculiarity of the MOT`s, and I am
speculating that these beasts actually are wound on a core that has some
sort of square hysteresis curve or something. This could perhaps be
tailored to the application in the oven, and also explain why they
perform so well in tube coils. They are sort of peaky in responce.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "R.E.Burnett" <R.E.Burnett-at-newcastle.ac.uk>
>
> Hi Finn,
>
> This looks like a very flexible Tesla Coil,  and is beautifully built too.
> It should provide an excellent test bed for your research,  I wish I had
> one !
>
> I did some work with uneven spaced firings,  and the ability to adjust
> each firing point in real time is so valuable because there is a lot
> of interaction between each firing.
>
> I took a look at the charging voltage waveform shown on your page:
>
> http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/charging.jpg
>
> The two flat portions in the trace are seem unusual.  I have never seen
> this behaviour before,  and I usually have the scope connected when I run
> my coil.  Do you have any idea what is happening in these periods where
> the voltage is almost constant ???
>                                                         Cheers,
>
>                                                         -Richie,

snip