Re: Third try at first light

Original poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>

Hi Marc,

At 05:00 PM 12/8/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>i also have one of terry's filters that only use the resistors and caps, no
>mov's. i haven't seen any difference in it over the one with the mov's? i
guess
>any thing is better then nothing because i have ran some really bad setups
>since
>then with no transformer failure, and i mean BAD. i'll send a pic of the
quick,
>cheap setup i made on a cutting board at your request.
>marc

The MOVs typically do nothing at all.  I put them in because there are a
'few' coilers out there (and they know who they are ;-))) that set safety
gaps a little "wide"!!  The MOVs cannot be set wrong and they provide a
fail safe way to protect the NST from the user ;-))  The MOVs only act when
all else fails as a last resort to saving the NST when things really go
bad.  The MOVs themselves will typically fry and short out to still save
the NST if the going really gets tough.

I used to hear of NSTs with safety gaps blowing and my first question way
always "how wide are the gaps set?".  The answers I got were "not pretty"
;-)) so I figured MOVs would make the thing "fool" proof ;-))

Cheers,

	Terry