Re: Photos, Electrical problems

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 12/7/00 4:16:37 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< Hello-

 Thanks to the information and help from this list, my wife's son and I have
 constructed our first Tesla coil with fairly good results.(6' to 8' arcs at
 times!)  Photos can be seen at
 <http://members4.clubphoto-dot-com/jay277916/Tesla/>

http://members4.clubphoto-dot-com/jay277916/Tesla/

 and other photos can also be seen at
 <http://www.geocities-dot-com/sparksmith/hiepower.html>

http://www.geocities-dot-com/sparksmith/hiepower.html

 The problem is whenever we run the coil, electrical devices in the house such
 as TVs, Stereos,  modems, electronic sprinkler timers, light dimmers ....
seem
 to get confused or damaged.  We use a 5KVA transformer to step 220VAC at 20 A
 down to 120 VAC at 40 A.  This then powers a transformer w/ single ended 20
KV
 output.  Since the HV XFMR is single ended  both the Pprimary and secondary
of
 the Tesla coil are connected to the RF ground rods.  (Oudin coil??).  The 120
 VAC wiring is completely isolated from the rest of the coil.

 Does anyone have any idea why I am having electrical problems  when I run the
 coil or what to do about it?

 Thanks,

 Jay >>

Jay,

You definitely want to use some 20 or 30 amp AC line filters.  You are
experiencing a conducted emmissions problem where the RFI from the coil is
feeding back through the house wiring.  I also use separate ground rod
systems.  I have one set of rods for the main RF ground and another set that
I use for all the 60 hz grounds, including the line filters, variac cases,
etc.

Ed Sonderman