Re: large caps

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

Original poster: "Matt Skidmore by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
fox-at-gwydion.woozle-dot-org>

<ive recently found a large cap rated 15,000 VDC and 600 VAC at 60 MFD. i
was wondering if this might be a good cap to use on my coil using a 15/30
NST power supply even though its only rated for 600 VAC.>

Hi Matt S.
I believe it might work in an AC coil ONCE, but then perhaps best as a
fusible link, a detonator, or a hot oil spreader.   ;-) Your 15/30 NST has AC
peaks of 21.2 kV! Anything rated less than 20 kV AC is, in my opinion, on
shaky ground. At the proper voltage rating, a 60 MFD tank cap would fit
nicely (LTR) with a 200+ KVA super pig, not an NST. You might want to
consider something in the 0.01 to 0.02 mfd range, rated 20 kVAC or better for
a 15/30 NST AC Coil. In a DC TC, it probably wouldn't fry, but your tank
frequency would be super low, given the dual constraints:
f=1/[2pi*sqrt(LC)] and R<2sqrt(L/C).

Matt D.