Re: Coil questions

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

<Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

> In a message dated 12/11/00 5:13:19 PM Central Standard Time,
> tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>
> << My next big coil will use wood ends. I will bake them to drive out all
>  moisture then immediately submerge them in polyurethane to seal them. It's
>  an experiment and I do not know how it will turn out.
>   >>
> Ted,
> Why not use PVC end caps which are also great for mounting to the coil
winder.

> Happy day,
> Ralph Zekelman

Re: Wooden ends.  I have had very good luck with wood for such purposes,
after first boiling it in paraffin to expel all of the water and
impregnate the pores of the wood.  Use a temperature just below that
which causes the wood to brown.  End up with a good solid material which
is quite stable with time and humidity.  Only important thing to note is
that the impregnation should be done BEFORE machining, as the stuff
usually shrinks and warps somewhat in the process.  I usually turn the
part to somewhat larger than I want (how much is a matter of judgement,
which is based on prior bad experience) before impregnating them.

	I think this process is better than the polyurethane coating, since it
does penetrate better.  Only catch in the whole process is in avoiding
fires with hot paraffin!  I use a coffee can on a hot plate, and have a
lid for the coffee can available in case of fire.

Ed