Re: Quick toriod question...

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> I too wonder if such things could cause significant loss in a Tesla coil.
> Strips of Al tape and all are not exactly recommended RF conductors.
> Perhaps fine Q measurements between a nice copper torroid and a same sized
> heating duct job would indicate the magnitude of the loss?
>
> The tape layers overlap so the current may easily flow through the layers
> simply from the capacitance between them.  Perhaps no physical ohmic
> connection is even needed but at 200kV the current will jump if it wants to.
>
> In the case of your real nice tape toroid, I would expect the loss between
> it and a solid one to be nil.  The beat up corrugated ones would be were
> the loss, if any, shows up.
>
> Cheers,
>
>         Terry

Terry:

	I have found by experience that the capacitance between layers is
indeed enough that the effect you worry about doesn't occur (at least in
my measurements), or at least introduce significant error.  As measured
by excitation of the base of a secondary, the capacitance values come
out right and the coil Q is unaffected.  Remember the spacing is only a
few mils and the overlay area large.  In my case the end plates are
wrapped with tape, which seems to make good contact sith the metallic
outside of the tape.

Ed