Re: TC Resonance and Topload Measurements

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Kevin Ottalini by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ottalini-at-mindspring-dot-com>

> Although it was my intent to verify the 60Hz behavior, I
> found that I was unable to get any significant coupling
> with a 60Hz sinewave running at 1Vpp and at 10Vpp what I
> saw could only be regarded as 60Hz patterned noise.

The standard technique for measurements at near 60 Hz is to average over
many many cycles so that the ambient interference averages out. You need
to work at a frequency near 60 Hz, and preferably one where the
harmonics don't line up, as well. (say, 59.9 Hz)

> (My apologies Terry!)
>
> However, after sweeping the coil from 30Hz up to 20MHz,
> I found only one peak at 927.3KHz. I adjusted the primary
> up and down the secondary to maximize the output,
> and then moved wires and the entire setup until there were
> no significant influences from test equipment or wires or
> tables, etc. then I re-adjusted the input to exactly 1.00Vpp.
>
> At this point, all influences (hands, wires, etc.) had the
> universal effect of lowering the resonant frequency, never
> raising it.

Which makes some sense, because waving hands, etc. are probably going to
have the effect of increasing C to ground, which would lower the
resonant frequency (and reduce the Q, too, probably).