Re: Phase adjust

Original poster: "James T by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jamest2000-at-att-dot-net>

Hi Brian, John, all,
comments interspersed

> Original poster: "Basura, Brian by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <brian.basura-at-unistudios-dot-com>

> Running with 135-270ufd caused the motor voltage to drop as soon as the
> Variac was moved off the stop. The phase did vary but only by about
> 5-degrees before it dropped sync due to the low voltage.

 I had the same results with my 1/2 horse, 1800 rpm. Try about 60 uf. This
does not give full range control
with the variac, but the motor runs a little quieter.

>  the motor no
> longer coasted after the power was removed (it came to a stop like someone
> had put on the brakes). This was so pronounced that the highest capacitor
> caused the set screws to shear off due to the motor stopping so fast...

 Wow, that is a fast stop. Mine also had brakes.
 I am playing with a variable inductor(not variac) and 60 uf cap. I'm going
for less total shift to get finer
adjustment.
 Oh, BTW my 1/40 hp, 1800prm, likes 40uf.

> Regards,
> Brian B.

Regards,
 James T