Preliminary findings of the oil boiling method of unpotting.

Original poster: "Garry F. by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <garryfre-at-pacbell-dot-net>

I opened up a brand new allanson and inserted it into a sphagetti cooker set
it on the oven and poured almost a gallon of vegetable oil inside and put it
on the burner at a temperature of medium high and once it gets smoking a bit
drop it to medium and then about five minutes later drop the heat to medium
lo.

The oil did mix in with the solvents in the tar and provided a medium of
transfer of heat. I was only able to melt about two fifths of it at one time
and plan to melt the other end and then melt the rest and then poil the
entire unit. It seemed to clean up some of the areas pretty well, but it
defanately needs an incline to encourage the tar to exit the unit. There was
much less smoke in this setup and it appeared to be a lot less messy.

After it's cleaned I will probably boil it with a fresh batch of oil and
give the black messy oil to my friend who uses it to start bonfires on his
farm.

Anyway, preliminary results seem to promise better results with less smoke
and no more tainted ovens covered with the smell of tar. I was able to
completely free the secondary windings from the tar.

Perhaps a followup soaking in diesel and then kerosene will clean it up like
a whistle. That is the goal, to have a transformer clean enough to
litterally eat a meal off of and not get sick.

Then I'll encase it in Polycoat. A lot of poly coatings to seal it all up
well. There will be less metalic mass but so far, it looks like a way of
unpotting with a lot less smoke.